My name is Caitlin. I am the face behind my menagerie.
A little bit about my menagerie:
my menagerie is mostly a menagerie of handmade toys that I hand-stitch with care, made out of lovely merino wool felt I source from far and wide. Some of the animals I make are inspired by my childhood, growing up in the bush and on a small farm, where we had orphaned pet wombats, guinea fowls running amuck and wild owls nearby at night. Others are inspired by some of the animals that I just love, like the sleepy sloth.
It all began a few years ago when I stumbled across some incredibly fancy toys crafted by a local maker and a friend of my sister. Seeing the skill and character in her work inspired me to pick up the needle and thread. I started out making toys as gifts for newborns and children of loved ones. my menagerie started to grow and made an appearance at the odd market. Until recently, it was my creative side to life, sidelined by my professional career.
A little bit about me:
I grew up in the apple-growing part of Tasmania – the Huon Valley – on a small farm, surrounded by animals and wilderness. I am from a creative family, who take inspiration from their surroundings. My father is a furniture designer-maker and my sister is a graphic designer by day, and a jeweler and photographer.
I have spent some time in Japan – travelling, studying and working. Aspects of Japanese culture resonate with me and I feel my products embrace their aesthetics of beauty in simplicity and imperfection.
I’ve recently moved to the beautiful Blue Mountains. I’ve put my professional career to one side and am following some other dreams of mine, one being, to grow my menagerie into much, much more.
- The Finders Keepers Market – Sydney – Debut stall – 12 & 13 December 2014
- Wollemi Artisan Market - Blue Mountains - May & September 2015, April 2016
- Swagger Child Design Market – Melbourne – 5 July 2015
- Leura Village Fair Market – Blue Mountains - 10 & 11 October 2015
- Sydney Etsy Made Local Market - 28 November 2015
- Dear Pluto Market at 107 Projects - Sydney - 12 December 2015
- Paddington Market - Twilight Market 17 December 2015, approximately once a month in 2016
- Featured in The Market Pop Up Shop - Hobart - January 2016
- The Makers and Shakers Market - Marrickville - 2 April 2016
- Sydney Kids Market - 24 April 2016
- Vivid Sydney Made Etsy Market - 4 June 2016
- Toy Festival - Sydney Living Museum Rouse Hill House & Farm - 23 & 24 July 2016
- One Fine Baby - Sydney - 13 & 14 August 2016
- Canberra Handmade Market - Canberra - 10 & 11 September 2016
- The Makers and Shakers Market - Marrickville - 15 October 2016
- Sydney Made Etsy Market - 19 November 2016
- (Upcoming) Wollemi Artisan Twilight Market - Blue Mountains - 2 December 2016
- (Upcoming) The Finders Keepers Market – Sydney – 9 & 11 December 2016
- Winkelen Magazine (online) – August 2015 issue
- Extracurricular Magazine - edition 18, Summer 2016